Friday, April 29, 2011

Calm waters...for a little while

I read energized comments about making the community cake!! exciting!! I had just finished The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich when I wrote that post and was in the middle of Brains on Fire: Igniting Powerful, Sustainable, Word of Mouth Movements. From the 4 hour week I realised that we need action and soon, and from the comments and Brains on Fire, I noticed that I need to work harder on making clear 'what's in here for you'. How do I and this project fit in your lives and how I think you can make this work by bringing just who you are. So that is what I am determined to put together. That is my own personal, apparently little, next step.

I think it is very important, it will hopefully give us the burst we need to stop lurking and start acting. Making this project happen is not so much about working on this project but rather about working on your passion. I believe that it is by allowing your passion to come forward that this project will be succesful. But enough of that, my first action is to prepare this sort of white paper, or memorandum of understanding, or manifesto or maybe board game or something...something that will make clear, or at least a lot clearer the role you may want to play.

I don't know how long it will take me to work on it. I am moving out from my unit and getting ready for a 5 months trip back to Colombia with my husband and son, so I don't think I will be online too much, but I can asure I'll make sure I can work on it.

So that's it for now, I wanted to give you a heads-up about it. Changing topic (not really), every book I read gives me new ideas and insights about this work, and I found that What's Mine Is Yours: The Rise of Collaborative Consumption really got my imagination going about local type of businesses. For example I thought about a business that would improve the public transport experience to reduce the use of private cars. Imagine for example that one person gets on your bus and tells you a short interesting story about the next suburb the bus goes through. So as a passenger, you don't just pass but go through a location and learn something, connect. Another day you have a comedian for those who got up with the wrong feet that day...I think putting more buses and building more roads is not necessarily what is needed to  increase use of public transport, get cars out of the road and improve traffic, but making the trip an enjoyable experience may play a big part of it...anyway. I wanted to recommend the book. If you are looking for something that may stir your imagination and give you ideas, this book helped me to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment